One of my favorite things (aside from good food, good music, and a secret, bizarre fascination with really awful reality TV shows) (soooo in other words: I am totally watching The Kandi Factory as I type this) is photography.
I am not very good at it, I mostly just punch buttons and spin dials until something happens, but this might be the year for me to change that. I hate feigning dumb as an excuse for laziness, no matter what my blonde locks might otherwise advertise, so perhaps it is time for a class or two. Or twenty. Thousand. Stay tuned.
He would record everything, and then he would then carefully edit the videos, splicing the very best moments together with a soundtrack full of 90's punk, ska, and hip hop. We then would all gather to watch them--to watch ourselves in our own little personal Amusing Movie Of Life, playing out however we saw fit.
Those things provided an important feeling of innocence in our lives back then, after all; they provided a palpable-yet-naive perception of a charming life where nothing ugly, tragic, or painful could ever exist. A life where we were all safe and tidy and secure, a life where we were silly yet all fully in control.
As we would later discover--the video camera would not do those things. It could never do those things.
There is simply something that I really enjoy about a great photograph, about catching a quick moment in time and viewing it without any sort of soundtrack, storyline, or edited scenes cautiously cushioning the moment. What was going on before the picture? How about after? Was it happy? Great? Funny? Chaotic? Boring? Sad? Painful? Really painful, like a cue ball to the face?
It is whatever we want it to be. The viewer of a photograph will always attach their own feelings and thoughts to it, no matter what the photographer originally intended, and no two people will ever share the exact same views.
It would be boring, might I add, if they did.
Blogging (for me) is much the same. I used to want to be able to control everything that happened here, and everything that happened in the wilderness of the world wide web much in the sane way that my friends and I wanted to control and edit the videos of ourselves 15 years ago. I am the one typing here, after all, so shouldn't I be in control?
But as veterans of the internet know, you can only control so much. I can only do my best to share tiny pieces of my life here (albeit the mostly-happy-and-edited pieces), to hit the "publish post" button when I am done, and to then leave it to you, the reader, to decide for yourself what to think, love, hate, and feel.
It would be boring, might I add, if you didn't.
So with all of this, I thought I would share some old, random snapshots in my next few posts. It is all good in this hood, you guys--enjoy:
Blouse: J Crew Lucinda Silk Blouse (similar here) (similar color top here in "rust")
Skirt: Forever 21 (buy it here in peach) (and a cool pleated option at UO)
Jeweled Necklace: Ann Taylor, c/o (similar at The Limited) (similar at Piperlime) (similar for under $20)
Long Necklace: J Crew Pluma Necklace, old (similar here)
Shoes: Valentino Rockstud Flats (similar at Nordstrom) (similar at Piperlime) (similar by Jeffrey Campbell)
Clutch: Proenza Schouler PS1 in Neon Coral (buy it here) (similar by Marc Jacobs) (similar under $50)










Chloe, Colorful Colorado. 5'8" (only) when teetering in her highest 6 inch Miu Miu platform heels. Likes fashion, broccoli, ice cream, clarifying that she does not eat ice cream with her broccoli as to not cause worldwide panic, hoarding beauty products & pretty shoes, tickle fights with her husband (he would like to clarify that he does not like them back, OKAY?), anything covered in sprinkles, any alcoholic beverage made with Tang, live music, clicking the camera, sarcasm fonts, vases stuffed full of pretty flowers, and laughing hard until her belly hurts. Wants an adventurous life, lots of puppies, to never obtusely wander around with her fly down, and to be an iconic Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress with a bright, festive print when she grows up. This is where she bravely documents it all. (
awwwww, you two look so cute in that pic!! you're beating our temps here! it should be in the 50's tomorrow. I'll take it!! I need some photography classes, too. I feel so silly not knowing much and dropping $400 on a lens. Yikes.
ReplyDeleteAmber Easy Petite Looks
Fiercely rockin' the point-toed flats, lovely!
ReplyDeleteDowntown Minneapolis?!? Yes!
ReplyDeleteBTW, I am in LOVE with our new place in CSprings and I can't wait to explore Denver more. I might have to ask for your fave recommendations when the time comes.
As for this outfit...I LOVE that bag. So much.
Chloe, when you take your shots, what settings do you usually use? I use a 50mm lens and bounce between the auto dial setting and and AV aperture setting on my Canon Rebel. I have books that I'm reading (yawn) but would love to know some of your common settings. And I'm still on the hunt for studded pumps since my Ivanka Trumps were so lame. :-(
ReplyDeleteNiki
www.fashionatforty.blogspot.com
I just want to know i you edit/airbrush your photos at all...and if not, then I officially hate you. Your skin is so creamy & flawless!!
ReplyDeleteChloe you look gorgeous. That trench is amazing and that picture of you and your hubby from 2006 is so cute! It's funny comparing pics from now and years ago. With mine, more often than not I get a "what was I thinking" reaction, but it's always fun!
ReplyDeleteps. So fun about photography lessons! I was in a photography class in high school but like most of what I learned then I have now forgotten! ha!
I could point you in the direction of some photography learning resources if you are interested.
ReplyDeletethe skirt looks so cute on you. i tried it on in store and it was ugh/blah on me. oh well. but you look fabulous!
ReplyDeletewww.iheartvintagecouture.com
I've been contemplating buying that trench myself... it's so cute! It's so funny to see pictures from days of old... even though I photograph my outfits for my blog I don't take photos from my life anymore really. When I was younger, my friends and I were obsessed with capturing every moment and I kind of miss that. Looking forward to seeing how you work on your photography!
ReplyDeletexo, alison*elle
Wow, those shoes!!! And why, oh why didn't I buy that blouse when I could have? This is always my problem. Procrastination. :P
ReplyDeleteThis is so pretty! I feel like a robot on your blog Chloe, because I always say the same things ;) The skirt is a gorgeous color!
ReplyDelete~ Noelle
Love your high school story! I wish we would have recorded at least half of all the craziness we lived!
ReplyDeleteSuper cute outfit! love the trench!
xx
Giovanna
www.oliveandanarrow.com
I always forget to take pictures when I'm having too much fun and only end up with pictures of my dog or food. Lots of food.
ReplyDeleteAhaahahaha! Girl, I feel your pain. And Petunia sez that she hopes you're taking pictures of the dog eating the food, as that's the only proper way it should be. ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks again Giovanna! ♥
ReplyDeleteHahaha, it's okay Noelle! I still enjoy your comments (and thank you!). ♥
ReplyDeleteSame here--I was never without my crappy Kodak point & shoot in highschool and my early 20's. It was always the best getting the pictures developed (before digital cameras, yikes!) to see alllll of the goofy poses we got. I even kind of miss it. :(
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Carol! ♥ J Crew has been killing it with the pretty silk blouses lately--so many great ones to grab, not enough time to wear. Darn them.
ReplyDeleteAw, thanks Annette! ♥
ReplyDeleteOoh, that'd be great Michele! I definitely need the help--thank you. ♥
ReplyDeleteThank you, Maca! And I agree--some of my older photos are awwwful, but it's always fun to look at them. I also took photography in high school and quickly forgot everything I learned! Hopefully it'll stick a lil' bit better this time...*fingers crossed* ♥
ReplyDeleteThank ya! The filter I use in my editing program is a one-size-fits-all "magic portrait" fixer, and it tends to give my skin a little bit of a glow that might not always be there. I'll take it, LOL. ♥
ReplyDeleteI've been using the auto dial setting a lot lately--I used to use experiment with both AV & TV, but since painting our living room & installing our wood floors it's been a bit of a nightmare trying to figure out the right setting to use! Light now bounces off from everywhere, which really seems to confuse my camera. Aaand me. If I find some good settings, I'll let you know!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear about the Ivanka Trump pumps! I keep thinking that more shoe makers will do Rockstud-inspired styles soon, since it was a fairly popular/trendy shoe, but they've been hard to find. If I see any pretty studded pumps I'll post them up here ASAP!
Yay! Welcome to Colorado & ask away. :) ♥
ReplyDeleteThank ya, my dear! ♥
ReplyDeleteHahaha, thanks Amber! And exactly - I had my camera at some of my husband's youth basketball games a few weeks back, and a lot of the parents were asking me about it. That's when I realized that I really need to learn a bit more--and hey, it's always good to learn new things. It keeps the ol' brain sharp (I hope!).
ReplyDeleteI really hate that I didn't track my high school years as much. I mean, they were perhaps the funniest and wildest of my years with my dear and fondest of friends. Damn you technology for not being there (iphone, ipad, flip video and digital cameras) daaaaamn you!!! :D
ReplyDeleteOn a happier not, I now document EVERYTHING!!!!
I'm having a Kate Spade giveaway today, come over!
www.houseofhemingway.com
I just love your blog! I am OBSESSED with these glasses you've been wearing as of late. I must have them... spill! :)
ReplyDeleteyou can never go wrong with a proenza schouler clutch. I die over all their bags! cute outfit.
ReplyDeletexx
Cat
flauntandrepeat.com
Love the outfit - especially that coat. Amazing!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the random snapshot. I am also a huge 'picture-person' - you should see the shots I have from college...or actually maybe NO ONE should ever see the shots I have from college. ;)
Happy Friday!
CK
Just catching up with my blogger reader right now...
ReplyDeleteI love your photos and honestly, you were one of the main inspirations for me to start my blog. I never really thought about getting into photography until a few years back, then last year I bought a camera and started getting really into it. I guess the nerd in me is fascinated with how the camera works and captures images, but at the end of the day, it's about capturing special moments that I can share with friends and family.
Keep up the good work and I hope your new camera gets here soon so you can keep sharing with us your amazing style and funny snapshots of the family.
I just found your blog and I really love it. This outfit is one of my favorites.
ReplyDeleteCate
flirtnwithfashion.blogspot.com