♫: Battez-Vous - Brigitte
I have two outfits for today, albeit both are pretty similar. I was planning on wearing outfit #1 this past Saturday, but it was almost warm enough to wear a skirt. So! I wore a skirt, hence outfit #2.
I just want it to be spring so, so darn bad...and an upcoming trip to Arizona definitely isn't helping with my warmer-weather-loving-lust. Counting down the days!
I digress. I have had a lot of you guys write to me recently asking for tips when it comes to wearing unusual color pairings and prints, and I decided to post both outfits as an example of how I do it.
I just follow one simple rule: I always try to pair at least two colors together, as It helps give the outfit a much needed solid point of reference. It helps to make the outfit look intentional versus looking like you forgot to pay the electric bill and dressed yourself in the dark. But hey--sometimes it's fun to make people wonder?
For example, in outfit one we have a burgundy belt with a burgundy bag (and coral stripes with coral pumps):
And in outfit two, we have a pinky-nude bag matched with pinky-nude flats. Oftentimes, however, similar-hued accessories can be extremely difficult to find. If you don't feel like going on an Amazing-Race-style-expedition to find matching items, try matching your nail polish to something! Even though I didn't do it in the outfit below, I do it in my other outfits often-- it's an easy and cheap way to still make your outfit look intentional and au courant:
What unusual color combinations or prints have you guys been loving lately? Share in the comments! ♥
Chloe I love that you are sharing tips on combining prints cause I always love your unusual pairings. I declare you Sensei :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, love both outfits! I do have somewhat of an aversion to matching shoes to bags too closely because my mom was obsessed with it and would drag me on *exactly* "Amazing-race-style-expeditions" to find things that would be the exact same color. I'm kinda getting over it now that you've done so in a more modern way.
Love both fits, and I adore your shoes with the skirt! Great pair ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat tips! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteIt's not as daring as some of the mixes you do, but I recently paired orange and navy, with some yellow accents. Trying out-of-the-box, just slowly. :)
Thanks Maca! *bows down* *or karate chops* (I don't know stat sensei's are supposed to do!) :P
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Beverly!
ReplyDeleteOoh, I never thought of doing those three colors together--I think you've given me an idea!
ReplyDeleteI love crazy colour pairings! =]
ReplyDeleteJust yesterday I was wearing purple with teal (with brown as the 'neutral'),
& the day before that was salmon with teal/ turquoise (with dark grey as the 'neutral')
Love your color combos! I just did the nail polish thing with mint toes and a mint tee as seen on my blog: www.fashionatforty.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteNiki
Always love your color combinations! I don't know if it's unusual, but I love pairing cobalt & kelly green or red & orange. :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome color combinations as always. I love those Vince Camuto heels, very fierce.
ReplyDeleteOh my, those pumps are ridiculous. Meaning awesome! I love both looks and for once I can't wait for spring either.
ReplyDeleteI am always amazed at your color and print combos and am inspired by you all the time! But I have a hard time putting pieces together because I don't always buy in color. I'm getting better though! I recently did a blush and dark mustard combo with mint and ended up loving it! You can see it here if you're interested! http://mydressyways.com/2012/02/10/how-i-wear-pastels-kind-of/
ReplyDeleteI love your color combinations, they always look so pretty and chic. I love pairing shades together - blues and greens are my favorite! I guess they are both kind of safe though. Oh, I just bought a lime tank and want to pair it with my camel blazer, or my nude lace cardi. I love neons with neutrals!
ReplyDeleteP.S. - Thanks for your comments on my blog Chloe, they made my morning!
~ Noelle
Love the outfits and the cropped jacket + skirt combo, especially since you brought in a variety of neutrals rather than just one to anchor them. I am from AZ and just got back from a trip to see my family and I am so jealous of you-- pack sandals and live it up! (I will be here in the snow wondering if spring will EVER come!)
ReplyDeleteBrilliant - what a great tip! Thanks so much for this post, Chloe. And I love that first outfit (the second is also cute, but there's something about the coral shoes/stripes and burgundy bag/belt - wonderful!).
ReplyDeleteI'm loving all the bright colours for spring, especially pastel denim. That's a great tip about pairing a few things of matching hues to create some coherence... you are always so good as your mixing and matching, Chloe!
ReplyDeletexo, alison*elle
I love how your color-mixing always seems effortless! Thanks for giving some tips - I just bought some awesome mint jeans and will be taking your advice for sure!
ReplyDeletexoxo
CK
That splash of hot pink on the belt should be wrong,
ReplyDeletebut it works, so beautifully!
I'm loving mustard yellow and peacock blue,
particularly with grey as the neutral.