Baby, "Severe Turbulence"
is my middle name.
Whittling down vacation photos can be both fun and incredibly daunting, can't it? It's an absolute blast to look through all of them and relive the vacation a bit, but I snapped well over 1,000 pictures during our 8-night stay on the island of Kaua'i last week. And sure, that only figures out to about 125 pictures per day, but it still seems absolutely prodigious once a girl has to hunker down and edit them all.
So I decided to start with the most important part since it's been awhile--what I wore! So you guys don't get confused and think I went on this vacation naked, uh duh.
Husband and I got married in Kaua'i five years ago and our vacation then was full of the usual twinkly, misguided dreams and warm weather with intermittent misty showers that would last mere seconds before the sun would be out shining again. This vacation was entirely different however, with the first four days a complete deluge of nonstop heavy, soaking rains and the first four nights spent with us lying in our hotel room at the Hyatt Regency, listening as the creepy and robotic National Weather Service Voice would repeat the Flash Flood warnings for all of the Hawaiian-named towns on Kaua'i, lulling us into a dreary, non-sparkly sleep.
Which was actually really funny to hear, that automated voice trying so hard to pronounce the Hawaiian towns, but only the first time. Oh alright I laughed the second time too, but it really grew old by night three and four, I swear (but only Ka-pa-a-and-Kau-ma-ka-ni-kind-of, ha-ha-ha-ha). The weather did clear up a bit halfway through our trip thankfully, giving us just enough good weather to be slightly satisfied and hungry for more.
One of the big reasons why I love Kaua'i is because of the laid back nature of the island--it is the only place that Husband and I can go and feel like we are truly getting away from it all. There is no hustle, there is no bustle. It is the least populated of all of the main Hawaiian islands, and there are no high end boutiques or shops but only stores dedicated to trinkets, fun and chintzy souvenirs, or surf gear.
I actually like the surf stores the best,
though I make no claim to be any sort of salty sea turtle, because nestled between the racks of bikinis, short-shorts, and brightly printed tees
are
incredibly soft, cool knits perfect for the hot days of summer.
The only shopping I did for myself on this vacation was to stock up on
Ola sugar scrubs, Island Soap & Candle Company Plumeria scented products (I love their oils & shower gels and they're all made locally in Kaua'i), and a few seriously,
seriously soft knits from
a brand I'd never heard before called Indah (but apparently
Shopbop knows what's up, and you can
check the brand out here!).
I didn't snap pictures of all of my outfits, as I decided to take a little break from the blog so I could enjoy spending time with the D-hubs, but I did catch a few snaps here and there. So let's get to it, hm?
A girl can never bring too many shoes yes? I'm not even going to say what Husband said when he saw these all lined-up because I couldn't really understand him, we're at that stage in our marriage where we both mumble a lot now, but I'm pretty sure it was something about how much he loved me aaaand all my shoes. Especially the studded spikey ones:
Here's what I wore to go on a day-trip on a boat up the Nā Pali coast. Because of the rain and cool early morning weather, I had to be crafty and layer up a bit! I also promise that my watch does fit, it just wasn't latched when I quickly snapped these before running er, wobbling out the door:
Here's what I wore while laying out by the pool, safe under a cabana since I'm not supposed to be in the sun. I also damn near lived in this
Mint by Goorin Nubby Panama Hat from Urban Outfitters, wearing it during most of our vacation--
it's the first hat I've ever owned that has been truly packable. It's amazing! I had the poor thing mashed up so badly in my suitcase both to and from Hawaii! And it popped out and right back into shape with nary a kink each time! Good stuff:

I am also going to be a bit honest and discuss something that I rarely discuss on here: it's a little bit nerve-racking posting swimsuit pics. I have received a few rare comments here in the past regarding my size, as most fashion bloggers likely have since we put ourselves out there and ask for it (which is totally weird because I'm preeetty sure I haven't worn my "OMG How Do You Think I Look At This Weight Please Let Me Know By Anonymously Telling Me To Either Eat a Sandwich Or By Congratulating Me On My Magical Secret Pregnancy In The Comment Section On My Blog ASAP Because Apparently My Magical Secret Unborn Baby Really Likes Sandwiches LOL LOL LOL!!!" t-shirt in an Outfit Of The Day yet, but it's coming soon I promise!), so I will just say this: like most women, I've had my fair share of body issues. Who hasn't?
But having dealt with Lupus for the past four years has really helped me to finally be mostly at peace with my body in that regard. It's odd, but true. Lupus is both a painful and uncontrollable condition, and auto-immune disorders are incredibly tough on one's body. I can often fluctuate up and down in weight a good 10 to 20 lbs from the various medications I take and from all of the illnesses and side effects that come with it, which can be a lot for someone who is only 5'2".
It is bittersweet. As a fairly major control freak who felt pressure in her late teens and early 20's to be a certain size and never fluctuate nary a pound, it has been difficult yet strangely liberating to give up the regimented control I used to once command over my body and actually be, well...nice and gentle to it, even though Lupus often times isn't so nice and gentle back. I had to call a truce; this disease has given me no other choice. It's in control now, and I'm just along for the goofy motherfucker of a ride.
I rarely discuss matters like this on here mostly because...well, it never pops into my head. I' have made my peace with it and it's simply no longer an issue for me. But I also do enjoy occasionally getting a bit more personal on here than just sharing some pictures with ya'll displaying my basic grasp on the concept of matching clothes, so I figured this was as good a time as any to discuss it.
So there you have it, I'm a real human with real human issues and not an emotionless robot-lady-with-an-oddly-large-head-and-an-unhealthy-attachment-to-expensive-shoes-and-a-fuzzy-brown-dog-named-Petunia-that-most-reserve-for-a-stressful-career-or-Farmville-or-a-human-baby after all. I TOLD YOU.
Onto the pictures. I am a true apple-shape and carry most of my weight in my midsection, so while I do occasionally don a bikini I always feel comfiest in the Extremely Buddha-Belly-Friendly tankini. Especially while on vacation and eating all the good vacation food and drinking all the good vacation drinks, too. It's not like I can go flop out in the sun and splash around in a pool or catch an amazing tan brah anyhow. Swimwear for me now is no pomp, all circumstance, an occasional melancholy hot tub after the sun safely sets at night, sad trombone.
But I did feel a little bit festive and fun while hiding in the shade when Husband stole my camera to snap this pic; he always makes me feel lovely, tankini and Buddha belly and trying to see the glass as half-full and made-up conversations with a 5 lb chihuahua and all:
Tankini top: J Crew Ruched Betty Swing Top in Dark Cypress (
buy it here)
And this is what I wore when we decided to go out for dinner and to visit the beach where we got married five years ago. Yay, so happy! ♥
(See now, if I were a fashion blogger with a photographer Husband you'd ONLY get a million of the same Outfit Of The Day snaps of me doing the Awkward Freaked Out On Guard With My Arms Over My Boogs Imma Beat You With My Louboutins pose. And it'd be awesome.)
More pictures to come! :)
awww congrats! great pics! I would be too scared to take my designer stuff with me on vacay. Airport luggage handlers and hotel staff have sticky fingers.
ReplyDeleteBelle
I just started following your blog and I love it!! You look absolutely stunning!!!! Love the outfits...beautiful :)
ReplyDeletewww.pinkteddylove.blogspot.com
Too bad it rained, but hey, you were still on Kaua'i. We love Kiahuna (behind you on beach shot, yes?), you must've been the best dressed person on the island.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had an amazing time! Love all of the outfits so far and can't wait to see more vacation pictures. You're gorgeous dear!
ReplyDeleteAw, Hawaii is one of my all-time wish-I-could-go-to places. Thanks for sharing and your pics too - can't wait to see more!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing these pics! I would love to visit Hawaii one day. The bf and I like to plan that for our future, as of yet non-existent, honeymoon. One day!! :)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you took all of those shoes on vacation! And I think I might need that awesome looking hat you have. It looks really cute on you.
Chloe, you always look fabulous! You look like you had a lot of fun. :)
ReplyDeleteAww! You look wonderful in all your outfits, and like you had such a great time. I adore your Chanel bag, the hardware is so pretty! I hope to see many more vacation photos.
ReplyDeleteYou look so adorable in all of the shots! And your vacation seems amazing- congrats! :)
ReplyDeleteSO jelly!! You look awesome and i am SHOCKED by how many heels you took! LOL! That's a ton! Love it though. You looked fab and thank you for sharing your thoughts and body image and self love. I think it's easy to forgot everyone has thoughts like that, and what it takes to get past them.
ReplyDeleteAmber's Notebook
Such lovely pics! Your OOTDs are *awesome* (as usual!) That's so cool that you took your Chanel flap with you! I may have to buy that hat - it's so cute! I can't wait to visit Hawaii. I can't even imagine living somewhere like that - where everything seems so laid back and no one's in a hurry.
ReplyDeleteI think I speak for everyone when I say that we appreciate people (you included) sharing stories about insecurities, etc. because it makes people seem more normal and real. As much as I like to focus on fashion and fluffy things on my blog, sometimes I also throw in a little personal stuff - because that's me and like you, I've made peace with *a lot* of things. :)
Chloe! You look fabulous (as always)! We just came back from Kauai in April. It's my favorite vacation place!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on five years of marriage!! The couples pics are super cute! Thanks for sharing such personal stuff - that is always hard to do on a blog. Oh yes, you da bomb! :o)
http://styleofsam.blogspot.com/
Oh, Chloe, I know all about the lupus body issues, like gaining 15lb ALL IN MY FACE thanks to prednisone. Like you, I'm in a good place now with my body issues, but it wasn't always an easy road.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, looks like you had an amazing time on your trip. Happy 5 year anniversary!
I loved these photos! I am impressed that you are able to stay so stylish even in Kauai as I love the islands and revert to dressing super sloppy and hobo when I'm there :) Loved your comments about body image and "asking for it" - you are such a hilarious writer and are looking great!
ReplyDeleteVery nice outfit choices for Hawaii! You looked super cute.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed hearing about your vacation to Kaua'i because fiance and I are definitely getting married in hawaii and strongly considering Kaua'i as the place! Looks like you had a lovely time and you look gorgeous as always my dear.
ReplyDeleteChloe, you are one of my "favorite-ist" bloggers of all time! You always look amazing in what you are wearing. Plus, you can totally rock a sunhat, which makes me very jealous.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the big anniversary! Great pictures.
Happy 5 years to you and your husband, Chloe! Thank you so much for sharing. I've always loved your choice of footwear in your outfit posts, so seeing a few of them lined up side by side made me all giddy, lol.
ReplyDeleteCongrats to you for putting the bathing suit shot out there. We aren't all perfect and sometimes it is best to just embrace our imperfections! You are too darn cute!
ReplyDeleteI miss Hawaii so much! I hope you post some of those pretty non-wardrobe shots too! :)
You look fabulous and I love your honesty! And because of that I'm on my way to order that jcrew swimsuits in hope it solves all my apple shape problems :)
ReplyDeleteI think I took the same amount of photos in playa de mujeres, mexico...but i think there were about 20 photos of me in total, haha, spent the time admiring everything around me mainly
ReplyDeletei hear you on the body image, i'm like 5'10" and weight fluctuations show very easily on me and the anon comments i get are no fun, they first few comments made me go a bit crazy and then i got over it, ha, shows those nasty little blog critters!
looooove all your shots and your outfits, so adorable! esp the shots with your husband :)
Congrats on your 5 yr anniversary!!!
i meant 4'10"!! i wish i was 5'10"!
ReplyDeleteI got married in February, and my husband and I honeymooned in Hawaii. We spent a few days on Maui and then spent a few more days on Oahu. It was so beautiful, and I don't think I looked half as stylish as you look in your pictures. I took a bunch of cute Anthropologie tops with me but ended up wearing mostly t-shirts and shorts during the day. We went to a few really great restaurants, like Roy's and Morimoto's, and those were the only times my really cute stuff came out of the suitcase. By the way, love the Chanel purse! I just asked my husband when he's buying one for me!
ReplyDeleteWhenever I go to Hawaii, I live in sandals! How cool to see someone so chic and well put together, even on a rural island like kauai!
ReplyDeleteLove every single outfit. Every last one! I really miss the islands.
Love the post! You have pulled off the vacation look of the century with that hat. Just the hat I've been looking for! Did you really wear all the shoes??
ReplyDeleteApple shapes, holla! There seem to so few of us. You are adorable, though, as always.
ReplyDeleteHoney, you are goofy, sweet and lovely... I heart you.
ReplyDeleteI'm still giggling over the, "... at that stage in our marriage where we both mumble a lot now"
Congrats on the 5 year anniversary.
hope you are enjoying your vacay! you look fab!
ReplyDeleteHAPPY 5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!!!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a beautiful vacation, despite the crapload of rain you got for those first four days.
Love the swimsuit shot - good for you! You ALWAYS look fabulous and this is no different and good on you for having the confidence to flaunt it to us.
A.Co @ A.Co est. 1984
PS- I would have brought just as many shoes ;)
Love the pics... reliving my own wedding at the Grand Hyatt Kauai this past September through you! (I'm already ready to go back... 2 weeks just isn't enough.)
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for the dose of reality... nice to know even my favorite blogger is a little bit human (but mostly just fabulous, of course!).
I love seeing you in my coveted Rodarte cardigan, hee hee hee. ;-)
ReplyDeleteI read that book recently too!! :) I'd love to know what you thought!
ReplyDeleteHappy 5 year anniversary!!! Way to celebrate it with a bang! You've always held a dear place in my blogging heart because of your ability to express personal issues so easily and frankly. It's endearing for those of us who have never met you in person - although I feel like I have or should have, it's nearly impossible in mind to not have! So glad you had an amazing time and can't wait to see more pictures! <3
ReplyDeleteLove the outfits! You look great (like always!). Glad to hear you had a nice trip!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary!!!!
Love all of your outfits! You are so cute!
ReplyDeletehttp://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/
Love that shot with all those shoes!
ReplyDeleteI think you look very lovely in every shot and it sounds like you had a great time in your vacation. Happy 5 year anniversary to you and the hubby!
Chloe I LOOOOVE your posts! I love that you are open about yourself but have a great sense of humour, I can't even believe you would get any sort of critism, you are PERFECT! I feel a "connection with you" - hahaha creppy much? b/c we are about the same measurements and I've been married 5 years too!!! You could be the blonde better dressed version of me? :P
ReplyDeleteI just saw the movie "something borrowed" again and will read "Something Blue" again soon.
Yayyy 5 years of marriage and yay Hawaii!!
ReplyDeleteAnd ohhhh girl, do I feel you on the apple shape. You don't look apple-y and I've been told I don't even look apple-y but we know the apple is there and must work around it, lol.
I LOVE your dinner outfit. Adorable. Please don't beat me with your Louboutins.
Oh, the shoes, Chloe, the SHOES!! love them all :) Seriously though, I want to thank you for this post. The narrative on body image and illness really hit home with me and is something that I struggle with daily. I have my "for when I'm on steroids" wardrobe and my "for when I've been sick for a week and have no appetite" wardrobe and a few more in between. Reading that someone as stylish as you deals with these issues with such grace is incredibly inspirational. xo
ReplyDeleteI have a quick question Chloe: Does your new Chanel have a single or double flap? Just wondering, thank you =)
ReplyDeleteThank you SO much for all the sweet comments, guys! I was surprised to see so many here, but oh so happy too. You all are the best and made me feel so much better about opening up and being a bit vulnerable about something personal. :) <3
ReplyDeleteBeautygirl24 - It's a double. It's from the 08A collection, but I managed to find it NWT from Saks Fifth Ave on Ebay awhile back! HTH!
Kauai is my fave! I've got a trip lined up for this summer to Maui, but I think a hop over to Kauai will most def happen. Koa Kea is where we stayed when we were on Poipu beach, but Princeville is also lovely. In fact, I don't think there's a part of Kauai that isn't. lol
ReplyDeleteLove the shoes you brought to your vaycay; a girl can never have to many! And congrats on the 5 year anniversary! :)
You always look FABULOUS!! Thanks for sharing your vacation pictures and your thoughts, as always!
ReplyDeletexoxo
P.S. I got married in Hawaii, too. Truly paradise.
as always, love your posts! the belts work perfectly with the outfits.
ReplyDeletehttp://peekofchic.blogspot.com/
also agree that you always look fabulous, and i appreciate the opening-up :)
ReplyDeleteand GIRL! all those heels! you OWN it. that is just awesome.
my 5 year wedding anniversary is next week too -- hawaii perhaps this winter!
Without your outfits o' the day, I wouldn't have learned how to rock a belt, or pile on some necklaces with flair. All those pictures you post *do* make little changes in people you'd never otherwise meet...like little old me. :)
ReplyDeleteSo...thanks.
And I see you did get the rose gold watch. Yay, you! I got mine back in October and I still love it to bits. I love this watch a wee bit too much, perhaps.
Congrats on your anniversary, and what a great recap of your vacation! We love Kauai, too, and stay at Kiahuna when we go. Beautiful island, even if it rains! You look great Chloe, post more photos if you have the chance! :-)
ReplyDeletelove love love all of your pics! it looks like y'all had an incredible, much-deserved vaycay :)
ReplyDeleteBeen there 7 times. It NEVER gets old! :) Congrats!
ReplyDeleteI JUST got diagnosed with Lupus in February after knowing somethign was wrong and being told nothing was for the past few years, and I really want to say thank you for being inspiring on this subject.
ReplyDeleteYou are so cute. My SO and I have been talking about going to Kauai again this year...last time we went was 1999! that's WAYYYY too long ago. I cannot believe how many shoes you brought...but then again if owned those shoes I'd probably have difficulty leaving any of those beauties behind either...how I love those knotted Louboutins!
ReplyDeleteYou are the cutesy thing ever! Looks like you guys had a blast in beautiful Hawaii.
ReplyDelete