May 3, 2011

Outfit Of The Day (Remodeling Updates & Such)





Oh let's see, where are we here?  I have spent the past several months immersing myself in nearly every single show on HGTV, the DYI Network, early Saturday morning TLC, and the Disney Channel (The Suite Life of Zach and Cody, duh--suite) to gather ideas to stuff into my rusty, can't-quite-lock-shut-tight-anymore binder of a brain for ideas on what Husband and I would like to do to this house, and if I have learned a few things so far it's:

  1. Home remodels never go as planned.
  2. Home remodels always cost more than planned. Much, much, much more.
  3. Home remodels always take much longer than planned. Much, much, much, much longer.
  4. If you think you're able to afford a 5 bedroom, 4 bath house smack on the beach of Turks & Caicos for just $2 and your cute American charm you can go right ahead and think again, nimrod.
  5. The "show info" button is for novices--watch a show for a few minutes and as soon as a hired contractor gets on their cell phone you can tell exactly how old the show is and what year it was taped.
  6. I am never moving to Toronto because I'm pretty sure it costs $1 million dollars down and the naming rights to your firstborn. 
  7. I am never hemming my own pants with fabric glue again because having your hand stuck to the hem of your pants will (probably) never be in style. 
  8. I said probably
  9. And I've watched nearly every single darn episode of The Vanilla Ice Project and he still hasn't let out one "Now stop. Collaborate and listen." to his crew. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME.

So whew--I've been extremely busy.


The flooring debacle continues. If you live in a home that already has wood floors, please give yourself a hi-five because going from carpeting to wood floors isn't easy nor is it cheap. But after driving back and forth this weekend (while making a pit stop at a Roche Bobois in Littleton to gawk at furniture we will never be able to afford) we finally have a good grasp on what we want and hopefully  the flooring should be installed in the next...few...um...months.


We've picked out a pretty pinky-brown-gray tile for both the kitchen and bathrooms and a very pretty warm-brown-cherry-hued bamboo for the rest of the house, see pictures here and here. And before you go all, "GAAASP CHLOE NOT BAMBOO!" for some reason the stuff we've picked out has a Janka hardness rating of 2789, which is much harder than typical bamboo (which usually has a Janka hardness rating around 1300). Why this is, I am not exactly sure (see me gluing my own hand to my pants), but I'm going to beat the holy monkey bananas out of the sample we brought home with my pumps  tomorrow as a test.  You know--just to make sure.


But of course, after doing some quick internet research I've discovered that not only does the stomach ache I've had all day mean I have cancer, but that there are several more caveats that come with bamboo. As always, I appreciate any advice, comments, suggestions, concerns, or fluffy pats on the head of pity from you guys. If you have an experience with bamboo flooring, please share! <3


Next comes the ordering of the floor (which takes a few weeks), the acclimating of the flooring to the house (which takes 4+ weeks if we do actually decide to go with bamboo), and then the actual installation (which takes...a hot glue gun and some strong sangrias um, I have no idea), but with the warmer months ahead I am more than ready to get this party started.  Let's do it homies; it's time to hustle white-girl-with-a-redecorating-mission-on-her-brain hard.


Speaking of warmer weather, we've had the muckiest spring ever here in Colorado. It's been cold, dreary, windy, I'm going to Hawaii and never coming back, meh.  


Coloradans have to be extremely nimble at layering due to how many times the weather can change in a single day, and this waterfall blazer I grabbed from ASOS a year or two ago has been one of my favorite pieces so far this season. It has a fun jauntiness to it that I like, and it's perfect for cinching shut with a belt lest I want the wind to catch it and blow me away like a little Chloe kite:

Blazer: ASOS (similar style here) (and here) (and here, on sale!) (and you can do it with a cardigan like this, too)
Top: American Eagle Outfitters (buy it here + take 15% off with code "49204021")
Jeans: GAP Jeggings (similar style here) (and here on sale)
Belt: J Crew (similar style here in "cinnamon spice") (and here for $12)
Necklace: Forever 21 (buy it here) (and a smaller version here)
Shoes: ALDO Goodsite Heels (similar style here) (and here) (and a comfortable wedge version here) (and a splurge here)
Bag: Rebecca Minkoff : (similar style here) (and here for under $50) (love this from Matt & Nat, too!)





17 comments:

  1. Hi Chloe,

    I have bamboo floors and love them except for a few minor details.

    1) installation was a bitch - from what I understand, anytime you remove carpet and replace it with flooring the installers need to test the moisture levels in the base flooring and then conduct some sort of sealing process which took 7 days to complete. It was financially inconvenient to find a dog-friendly hotel in the San Diego area during the middle of summer.

    2) bamboo is soft and anytime I have drunk friends or just friends over who wear stilettos there are always indents left on the floor. Even just dragging an ottoman or a couch with wood legs can be potentially disastrous.

    The benefits of the flooring are measurable, and it sounds like the stuff you are looking at is harder than the average bamboo ( a plus)

    - it looks great and it's a sustainable material
    - it is easy to resurface in the event you would want to undertake such an event (I have not done so yet)

    Good luck and love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just too darn cute and funny.... Holy Monkey Bananas!!! hahaha

    Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No experience with bamboo flooring darling, but you are looking great in this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remodeling does take forever but it is so worth it you'll love it in the end.
    Also, I hear ya about weather and layering, it's been a very bipolar spring in the twin cities. I love your jacket though!

    Ps. Did I miss a post about a certain gift from a certain designer? Hmm? I'm too curious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I usually don't comment (although I love reading and appreciate your humor in dealing with life more than you'll ever know!)...however, my husband owns a flooring & home remodel business and has 15+ yrs experience installing all sorts of floors, including bamboo....
    You hardness rating should be fine, however (like hardwood) it can be dented, especially by moving heavy furniture (just put little pads - you can't even see them - on the legs of the couch and other furniture and you should be fine). Stilettos could prose a problem, depending on how tough someone is on them (normal walking should be fine on that hardness rating, stomping or craziness = who knows, test it out).
    Finally, installation shouldn't be that different from typical hardwood, and the subfloor will depend a lot on what is beneath your carpets where you'll be installing it. If there is old hardwood, for example, you may not even a new subfloor laid, if not, the contractor will probably need to install a subfloor before putting in the bamboo.

    Some tips - most flooring installers charge extra money for moving furniture and ripping up carpet, both of which - if you have a couple strong guys - are very easy to do yourself. It's an easy way to potentially save $$$ on your bill. ;)

    And I'm cracking up about your Toronto comment - is it about Property Virgins? Haha, yeah...crazy expensive. If I'm spending that much, I'm moving someplace where the temp never dips below 65 and pina coladas are typical breakfast fare.

    Good luck with the home remodel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your outfit is so amazing! I love your bag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there, Chloe! If anyone can rock a home remodel (and still look fabulous doing it), I'm sure it's you. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!!!
    xo
    mel
    www.pinkteddylove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chloe,
    My first time commenting, in fact I've only read your blog a few times. I do like it a lot! BUT, we do have the hard bamboo floors you're thinking of. What we have is Strand Woven Bamboo. It's bamboo that's been shredded and then glued back into planks with epoxy. That's what makes it so hard. We've had ours about a year and we like it a lot. It does scratch rather easily, but that might not be any different for other hardwoods. It doesn't seem to dent with shoes, but I don't wear stilettos. Our floor was glued down-we had a contractor do that. HTH.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love this post. Classic Chloe. Next time I'm in Colorado, you + me + a least a pitcher of margaritas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL great post - it's not THAAAAT expensive to live in Toronto! But yeah I'm sure all the shoes you watch on HGTV would lead you to believe so ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chloe! I live in Steamboat Springs. I think that you and I chose the exact same floor. I have 2 Savannah cats and an English Creme Golden Rtrvr puppy, so I was swayed to the bamboo for its pet friendly durability. Also, I think it looks super chic and is versatile enough fit my style (think Paris Apartment/ Vintage Hollywood Glam as opposed to Steamboat Springs rustic) just as well as bamboo works with a more contemporary look. My contractor is here ripping out my carpet. Right Now! As I type this. I am also agonizing over choosing granite slabs. Arrrrrrgh. I love fashion and interiors so much but this remodel process is so stressful!!!! I FEEL YOUR PAIN! Hope to see you some day! Love your blog!!!!!! Carole in Steamboat Springs

    ReplyDelete
  13. p.s. we need to keep in mind the high altitude and the lack of humidity of our climate when choosing our floor, as I am sure you are aware. My first choice was Brazilian Tiger Wood, but I had to accept that pricey exotic woods and exotic cats do not mix well. I have been told that many hardwoods will lift or split at the grain in our dry climate and have had so many friends complain about that after spending a fortune on exotic wood. My contractor and flooring supplier (Laurie at Interiors with Altitude) know ALOT about how bamboo fares in our climate. Be aware that I was warned that not all suppliers of bamboo flooring are equal. I have heard of the bamboo from certain suppliers "chinking" or lifting over time as a result of lack of humidity. If you have any questions call Laurie here in Steamboat Springs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this outfit, of course, but what kind of Rebecca Minkoff is that (Nikki)??? I don't think I've ever seen that style/color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post Chloe! I literally laughed out loud when I read your list especially your comment about Toronto...

    haha you could totally move to Toronto - you would be surprised at the little gems you would find her to live in :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments--leave 'em here! ♥

♥ Follow Along

♥ About...

Chloe, Colorful Colorado. 5'8" (only) when teetering in her highest 6 inch Miu Miu platform heels. Likes fashion, broccoli, ice cream, clarifying that she does not eat ice cream with her broccoli as to not cause worldwide panic, hoarding beauty products & pretty shoes, tickle fights with her husband (he would like to clarify that he does not like them back, OKAY?), anything covered in sprinkles, any alcoholic beverage made with Tang, live music, clicking the camera, sarcasm fonts, vases stuffed full of pretty flowers, and laughing hard until her belly hurts. Wants an adventurous life, lots of puppies, to never obtusely wander around with her fly down, and to be an iconic Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress with a bright, festive print when she grows up. This is where she bravely documents it all. (oh you really want more, do you?)