April 4, 2011

(Outfit Of The Day) Oh The Reality





Husband and I had a great night out on Friday to eat at the insanely tasty Limelight Supper Club and to see one Lewis Black at the Ellie Caulkins, opened by the delightful John Bowman and served with a saucy side of alcohol + your favorite blood pressure medication du jour. It was my official Valentine's Day gift to the D-hubs, but you know...it was really a gift for me too.  Shh. Don't tell.


I love going to comedy shows.  I do!  You can never go wrong spending a night at a comedy club or seeing a comedian.  Never. You laugh!  You laugh so hard you cry!  You laugh so hard your face goes numb! And then you laugh some more!


I mean, unless you were born without a mouth and/or lacking the muscles needed in order to physically form a smile and/or Donald Duck (I just Wikipedia'd it and ducks can't really smile, Disney) (AND MOST MICE CAN'T WEAR RED SHORTS EITHER DUE TO THE LACK OF OPPOSABLE THUMBS) and/or um Anne Coulter...a comedy show will always be a good time. It's guaranteed, and I love it.  


And it's important. Husband and I have been trying hard this year to put effort into doing things together.  Both of us were fairly i-n-d-e-p-e-n-d-e-n-t-do-you-know-what-that-mean-mayne before our marriage; I had lived alone for several years, as did he, and by doing so we came into our relationship together being fairly capable and comfortable doing shit our own way and getting it done.


I think it is important to do this before settling down, of course. To learn how to truly do things on your own, even if it's chasing and killing a swarm of angry killer flies that you accidentally let into your 650 sq-ft apartment at 11pm one Tuesday night by using your strongest of strong hold hairsprays, an Old Navy flip flop, and a high-pitched scream of complete fear er, ferociousness just a real like a true playa fly-swatter pimp.


(It is also important to learn that just because you are alone doesn't mean you're lonely; and just because you are lonely doesn't mean you're alone.  But it does mean you better know how to get a stubborn lid off of a jar of salsa without accidentally smashing it on the floor or else you'll get hungry real quick.)


Unfortunately this sort of sovereign state of behavior can also, hang on here while I get the crayons out so I can color ya'll shocked, be at times a little bit detrimental to a strong relationship.  It can also make it incredibly easy to fall into that old rut of eat + work work work +  + work work work some more + watch dumb reality TV shows together + laugh + sleep without actively taking time to do something special and fabulous together.


(And if it is so easy for us to fall into this trap, I can't even imagine how those of you with children-of-the-non-fur-non-eating-cat-poop-that-they-find-in-the-bushes-outside variety do it in your marriages--yikes!)


So I am happy for this. It has been tons of fun doing new things together with Husband and making a conscientious effort to do it!


I also know that I have strayed lately from sharing a lot of personal thoughts and notes here, and with good reason. As a fashion blogger, I take my Official Fashion Blogger Duty to make it magically appear to ya'll that...

  • I waltz into my closet every day and know within 2 seconds exactly what I'm going to wear. Don't you?
  • I can not only snap pictures of the perfect fruit tart and quiche of any kind, but I can bake it too!
  • Who me, work out? Exercise? Diet?  Ha ha!  Ha ha ha!
  • I never get hang nails or canker sores or those weird eyelid spasms.  My fly also stays perfectly zipped up at all times because I mean...who walks around with their fly undone all day? ll tell you who--people who aren't fashion bloggers.  That's who, ew.
  • I have never never had a bad hair day, because even my bad hair days are good hair days.
  • Whenever you see me in person, even if it's pouring rain and earthquake-ing and tornado-ing all around us, I will always look like I'm softly glowing from the inside and standing in a perfect golden beam of light from a setting sun.
  • And (most importantly) I never accidentally fart when I'm laughing. NEVER, YOU HEAR?


...very seriously. It's a strict code of conduct, as I am sure you all understand, and violation of any of the above terms means immediate termination from the Fashion Blogging World and my Miu Miu flats go *poof* and immediately turn into Crocs.


With fashion blogging it is often too easy to just throw up some pictures,  ramble about something completely inane, and then call it a day. It is just so gosh darn hard to write openly and to be candid sometimes about the more difficult subject matters, as I am sure you all know, because to do so often opens up a small, uncomfortable crack of vulnerability.


It might be a teeny-tiny crack, but it's a crack nonetheless.  And I am a real person, and I am a real person that also likes to wear high heels, and if I accidentally get my heels stuck in that crack I'm going to motherfuckin' go down because I am also...a really big klutz.


(But a klutz that always has a perfect manicure and never forgets to zip up her fly.  GOT IT?)


So! Enough of that. Here's one of my favorite outfits from our trip to Vegas last week; I wore this out to dinner (with shopping on the strip and exploring the city after!) on a rather cold and windy Friday night. 


I am currently having a big blouse moment, as you have probably noticed, and I think we all have certain outfits that we probably create and wear often.   A few months ago it was a pretty cami (preferably with a ruffle) + cardigan or blazer + skinny jeans + cute shoes.  I am happy to say that  I've now taken a huge leap and moved on to a  blouse (preferably with a ruffle) + skirts + belts + cute shoes.


I am so multifaceted and versatile, aren't I:

 Trench Coat: Juicy Couture  Outlet Ruffle Trench from last year (similar style here) (and here) (and here with a pretty ruffle on the front!) (and here for $50)
Skirt: Forever 21 (similar style here + take 30% off with code "FRIENDSFB") (and here)
Belt: Forever 21 (similar style here) (and here)
Shoes: Christian Louboutin Marcia Leopard Ballet Kitten Heels (similar style here) (and here) (and here at Piperlime)





29 comments:

  1. So pretty! I LOVE that trench!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too cute! I love the outfit and the personal disclosure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love YOU Chloe! You make me laugh and smile and nod yes yes, and are generally making my day!
    Thanks!
    Marne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I read your blog I can almost hear the tone and it makes me laugh because f i ever met you in RL your voice would sound nothing like that. Love how some people have the ability to do that when writing.
    Love the outfit too Chloe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this outfit, Chloe!!! And I LOL'd at your list of Blogger Duties. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this whimsical outfit, Chloe! I would be furiously trying to find that skirt if I didn't already snag a similar one from Modcloth. Missed out on your Charlotte Russe lacey white top last year so I pounced on the Modcloth skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a darling! Thanks for sharing & inspiring us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love the colors of that top - I don't see it on TopShop right now - any idea who makes it? I would love to find it somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 5 stars for this outfit! and every time you wear that darn skirt you remind me I have it...and I just love it. Like passionately. It's such a good skirt. I need to grab it out of my closet and start wearing it again now that it's warmer out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your outfit, esp. the coat! I die! Thanks so much for sharing. It's really great that you and DH are taking an active effort in your relationship. And I'm sorry, I had to laugh, I've got this image of your heel getting stuck in a crack, and you falling down while flailing your arms. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this post! if only we could all have the magical power of knowing what we will wear in the morning in 2 seconds flat. if only.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, it sounds like you and hubby are having a lot of fun together. Husband and I also try to spend more time doing things as a couple or a family whenever Lola is involved in the mix. I think it super important for a couple to find the time to be together, with jobs and all the craziness of life, it becomes harder and harder to do that. I always look forward date night on Friday night, we have been together for years and I still like to plan my outfits even if we are just going to get ice cream.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh chloe, i love you so. great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. funny girl! you look adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always love your dose of honesty! AnD Of course I love your outfit more! xoxox

    Amber's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a cute outfit, loving the skirt!!! you're posts always make me gggle!

    xoxo
    Stacey

    http://fiveminutestyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you are opening up a bit. I think it is so hard to give the world a piece of the more serious stuff, and it is so much easier to leave that stuff off the blog, but we all deal with it. You look amazing as always.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a BEAUTIFUL outfit! I want all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this look! Especially the combination of patterns and textures. Its subtle and chic!!!


    xox

    Ginger Roxy
    gingerroxy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love love love your style. I am new to your blog and am ohhhhhhh already so addicted! I so appreciate your layering techniques! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are truly fabulous! Now when are you going to post a tutorial on how to replicate your darling updo?

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow. i love your bangs. please explain what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that trench. i hardly noticed that the sleeves are on the shorter side b/c it's soooo incredibly chic here. i like the big collar on it. and then you open the coat and a feminine outfit appears.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fab! *emerging from my allergy sickbed* You do alot of things Chloe and live life to the fullest! Lookin' great all the time! :) Alie

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey chloe. these pictures are amazing. the trench is to die. you are so beautiful. I'm so excited that I found your blog. I'm following now, I hope you will as well. I started my blog a little over a month ago. It's all about celebrity fashion from the point of view of an LA stylist. Stop by to see multiple post a day on all the latest celebrity fashion news. Would love your support. xoxo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ha ha whats the deal with the eyelid spasms. I used to get a ton of them last year for a period of time and then they disappeared. Cheers to no more eyelid spasms and cheers to one of my fave bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just found your blog and read this post and you are now my favorite person on the planet. I mean who wouldn't love someone who never ever ever accidentally farts when laughing? Score.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your looks! It always inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pretty!!!

    Those flats are fantastic with that outfit--
    I like that they keep the whole shebang looking chic.

    And OF COURSE you fall out of bed with perfect hair and makeup and coordinating panties.

    I never believed otherwise.



    (Also? May I say that I miss your red hair?
    The blonde is adorables, but I miss Ginger Chloe.)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments--leave 'em here! ♥

♥ Follow Along

♥ About...

Chloe, Colorful Colorado. 5'8" (only) when teetering in her highest 6 inch Miu Miu platform heels. Likes fashion, broccoli, ice cream, clarifying that she does not eat ice cream with her broccoli as to not cause worldwide panic, hoarding beauty products & pretty shoes, tickle fights with her husband (he would like to clarify that he does not like them back, OKAY?), anything covered in sprinkles, any alcoholic beverage made with Tang, live music, clicking the camera, sarcasm fonts, vases stuffed full of pretty flowers, and laughing hard until her belly hurts. Wants an adventurous life, lots of puppies, to never obtusely wander around with her fly down, and to be an iconic Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress with a bright, festive print when she grows up. This is where she bravely documents it all. (oh you really want more, do you?)