March 27, 2012

Outfit Of The Day (DailyBuzz Style 9x9 Challenge: Neon + Neutrals)

 ♫: When I'm Small - Phantogram



I was super excited to be selected for DailyBuzz Style's 9x9 Challenge this month because it is all about one of my favorite spring trends: neons and neutrals.

It has been all over the runways for the past few seasons:

{l to r: christian siriano SS2012, michael kors R2012, tibi SS2012 - via style.com}

And has now been popping up left and right in magazines, fashion blogs, and retail stores aplenty.

What I like most about this trend is how easy it is to do. Sure, all my fellow Children Of The Early 90's are probably thinking, "Kelly Kapowski 101, bitch please--I still have all my slap bracelets!" (and if that isn't what you're thinking, well...I'm at a total loss) but while this trend might be a little influenced by what we saw nearly 20 years ago, like any good fashion trend it is now reinventing itself into something a bit more fresh and sophisticated. It is also easier to wear this time around, with no bejeweled t-shirt clips or LA Looks for your crunchy permed hair required.

Yes yes, I said it: it is easier to wear. Neon colors are blindingly bright and therefore can be pretty darn daunting to bedeck in large doses, but that's where the neutrals come in. The main trick is to mix the neon color with enough neutrals hues to subdue it to your own personal comfort (and taste) level; this helps keep the overall look chic, sophisticated, and hopefully tame. Try pairing neon greens with camels; neon pinks with taupes and grays; neon blue with corals or rusty reds, neon purples with mustardy or pale yellows, and neon yellows with navy and dusty olive greens.

The easiest way to work this trend is with accessories. If you usually reach for a brown or black belt to wear with your outfits, try swapping it with a neon belt instead. Try pairing sleek spring sheaths with a bold pair of pumps, and be on the lookout for cheap neon-hued jewelry at places like H&M, Forever 21, ALDO Accessories, and other 'discount' retailers. They have lots to choose from at the moment (especially in store), and you will get just enough wear out of those items to not feel too guilty for when the trend inevitably dies out or moves on.

Want even more tips and ideas on how to rock this trend? Head over to See Chloe Shop for a special 'Trend Watch' post dedicated to this very topic, too.

This is how I'm wearing neons and neutrals at the moment--how about you? ❤

(I am still missin' my DSLR, blargh.)

 Top: J Crew Talitha Blouse in "Vintage Berry" (buy it here) (similar here) (similar here, on sale) (similar at F21)
Ring: Banana Republic Tigers Eye Ring, old (similar at Ann Taylor)
Watch: Michael Kors Blaire Watch in Espresso (buy it here) (similar by Fossil)
Shoes: Christian Louboutin Greissimo Nude Pumps, old (similar here) (similar at Ann Taylor) (similar by Louboutin)
Bag:Hayden-Harnett for Target (similar here) (similar here) (similar by Rebecca Minkoff)
Nail polish: Essie Mamba (buy it here)
Lip color to match the nails: Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Belle Du Jour (buy it here)






38 comments:

  1. I really like this outfit - it's not too in-your-face neon. The colors are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pairing of neon and neutrals, Chloe! That belt is amazing.

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pink neon on you, you wear neons very well! I love the idea of pair then with neutrals!

    xoxo
    Stacey

    http://fiveminutestyle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look is perfection - love the bright blouse & that belt...great outfit & totally something I would wear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your blog and your outfits, this outfit is awesome, love the skirt and the pink shirt...
    you're fantastic
    come and visit me, if you like my blog we can follow each other http://www.iloveshoppingwithfe...Like
    Reply

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic! One of my favorites of yours, Chloe!

    xo,
    Ashley
    anylovelything.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The neutral details are wonderful with this outfit! Edgy yet colorful. Love it and that belt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! The belt is my favoriite part because it's both neon and neutral in one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks awesome, and I love the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this outfit and your loubs! I just bought my first pair, but am working so hard to keep the red soles clean! Were you ever paranoid about keeping your red bottoms?? 

    ReplyDelete
  11. love that belt!!! perfect neon + neutral

    peekofchic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh perfect outfit woman!
    I was a little worried about the neon trend, I am not gonna lie, but I think that neon pink is not so in your face so I got a couple of items in that color. I also got a neon yellow necklace which is just the perfect hint of neon for some of my neutral outfits. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this!  Your hair looks fantastic down!

    ReplyDelete
  14. THAT is a fabulous blouse and I can't believe that F21 skirt. Everytime I see someone wearing a leather skirt my immediate reaction is to run and get one but I'd seriously have NOWHERE to wear it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Most neon colors don't look good with my skin tone (Asiany-yellow), so I'm kind of out of the trend loop there. :( Neon pinks, yellows, and oranges make me look sickly. Sigh.  But I love neons, so I usually stick with them in accessories -- my favorite belt is a neon orange one I got from J.Crew last year. Or was it two years ago? -shrug- 
    I LOVE the pink on you here, though, and the leather skirt with it is so sassy! Another 90s throwback that I love? Maxi skirts with a leg slit. Like in that pink dress you posted. Ah-mazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it. I actually don't think I own a single piece of neon. Whaaaaat?! I do, however, own enough scrunchies, butterfly clips, and flexi comb headbands to make any 90s girl swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you seriously inspire me with your outfits. i LOVE how you can mix expensive and affordable pieces so flawlessly. this outfit is perfection.

    xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your pops of neon, especially the yellow belt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahahahha, I'm kind of jealous! I'm not quite sure how I forgot about butterfly clips; I can still feel those things digging into the top of my scalp.  Oof.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was going to say! I can totally see you rocking neon accessories, like a hot pair of neon shoes. Get it, girrrrrrrl. <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank ya!  Leather skirts can definitely be a little tricky in day-to-day wear, but have you thought about leather (or faux leather) shorts? I think they're a little easier to wear; I wore mine all the time last summer, with everything from cotton t-shirts and sandals to silk blouses and pumps! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. YES. I loooove your yellow necklace, *swoon*.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You know....that's a good question. When I got my first pair, I did a lot of research online on how to keep the red bottoms fresh and people do all sorts of things (from getting them re-soled to applying red electrical tape on the soles every single time and taking it off--again, every single time after wearing) but so far I've just let mine go and get worn down with wear.  Besides, the red soles can be REALLY slippery when you first get them, so wearing them down a bit helps! 

    I am going to get a few of my older pairs re-soled this summer with red vibram soles, though--this is an excellent source on how to go about doing it, if you're interested. HTH, Cassidy!  ♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. Right? Forever21 was really on top of their game when they came out with it--they had one that was hot pink + tan too (that's now sold out, but I've been stalking the website and stores in hopes of a restock!). ♥

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aw, yay! Thanks so much Ashley. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yay! Thanks so much, Kim! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  27. *curtsies* Thanks so much, Allison. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  28. so cute and it's inspiring that you created an outfit that looks great without the hefty price tags!

    jen
    www.livetreschic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments--leave 'em here! ♥

♥ Follow Along

♥ About...

Chloe, Colorful Colorado. 5'8" (only) when teetering in her highest 6 inch Miu Miu platform heels. Likes fashion, broccoli, ice cream, clarifying that she does not eat ice cream with her broccoli as to not cause worldwide panic, hoarding beauty products & pretty shoes, tickle fights with her husband (he would like to clarify that he does not like them back, OKAY?), anything covered in sprinkles, any alcoholic beverage made with Tang, live music, clicking the camera, sarcasm fonts, vases stuffed full of pretty flowers, and laughing hard until her belly hurts. Wants an adventurous life, lots of puppies, to never obtusely wander around with her fly down, and to be an iconic Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress with a bright, festive print when she grows up. This is where she bravely documents it all. (oh you really want more, do you?)